Ever finish a meal so fast that you barely remember eating it?
Mindless eating not only reduces the pleasure of food, but can lead to obesity and a host of other negative outcomes, according to researchers.
Instead, take the time and attention every time you eat to be a little more curious… And you will experience many benefits:
1. Slow down and be present when you eat. The body’s satisfaction signals are about 20 minutes slower than the brain’s. You may be full already, but you keep eating because you aren’t paying attention. If you learn to savor your food, bite by bite, your satisfaction will increase and you won’t be tempted to overeat.
2. Be curious about why you want to eat. Your emotions and habits may lead you to eat when you are bored, or sad, or lonely. Your body gives you different signals when it has authentic need for nutrition. These habits can be hard to break, but being curious and aware of your body’s actual needs will lead to better digestion and a more healthful relationship with food.
3. Enjoy eating with others at scheduled times and places. Sharing food and conversation is a way to make eating healthier physically and emotionally. When you eat at more regular times with others, you reduce your desire to eat randomly and to snack alone, which has positive health benefits.
4. Be curious about nutrition. You control the stories around the food that you eat. Sometimes the stories relate to “comfort food” where you make emotional rather than nutritional decisions. Tell yourself a different story, that more healthful food and eating will lead to greater health and happiness. Curiosity in the moment is its own way to triumph over negative emotions.
5. Be curious about where your food comes from. Locally grown, organic vegetables and proteins and complete trace minerals are full of natural goodness and will keep your immune system strong and keep you healthy. Processed packaged foods trucked in from God knows where reduce your vitality and immune response. There is an embarrassment of riches of information on nutrition, organic food, produce, local growers etc. Get curious and get googling and get healthier and happier!
6. Bless your food with a moment of appreciation. We at CuriousLive are all about convening people together for meditative moment. When you do this with your food, your food becomes medicine (according to Hippocrates) and you will live a happier and more fulfilling life.
Join us for a Curious.Live Social Journey today!